Here’s Why You Lose More Hair in the Fall

Here’s Why You Lose More Hair in the Fall

As summer turns to fall, some individuals notice an increase in hair loss. If you find yourself among them, take solace in the fact that you’re not alone. Dr. Christian Merkel, a dermatologist in Munich, often observes a surge in patients seeking help for hair loss during the autumn months. Many are experiencing hair loss for the first time and are understandably concerned about it.

The Mystery of Seasonal Hair Loss

Dr. Merkel points out that seasonal hair loss is a common phenomenon, especially in women, and it tends to occur during the late summer or fall. While the precise cause remains somewhat elusive, several theories attempt to explain this seasonal pattern.

One such theory likens our hair to a protective coat, and just as animals shed or grow thicker fur in response to changing seasons, our hair may respond similarly.

Phases of Hair Growth

Dr. Merkel explains that each hair undergoes two primary phases: the anagen (living) phase and the telogen (resting) phase. Hair remains in the anagen phase for several years, accounting for approximately 90% of our hair. The remaining 10% is in the telogen phase, which typically spans two to four months and involves hair root regeneration.

Phases of Hair Growth

Normally, the transition between these phases goes unnoticed because the number of hairs on our heads remains relatively constant. However, in late summer and fall, more hair enters the telogen phase for many women.

Coping With Autumn Hair Loss

Dr. Merkel notes that patients often observe increased hair shedding in their hair brushes for one to three months. After this transitional period, new hair begins to grow from the hair follicles. There are specific care products, such as pharmacy-sold scalp shampoos, which can facilitate hair regrowth during this phase.

However, prevention is usually more effective than after-the-fact care. Starting to use hair care products during the preceding summer is advisable. Nutritional supplements that promote hair health and growth, including zinc, can also be a valuable part of your strategy.

Seeking Professional Advice

It’s important to note that while increased hair loss in the latter part of the year isn’t considered a disease, if you find yourself losing more than 100 hairs per day over a span of two to four weeks, it may signal a different type of hair loss.

In such cases, consulting a healthcare professional is recommended. They can conduct a comprehensive evaluation, which may include computer-assisted hair analysis and blood work, to determine the underlying cause and provide appropriate guidance.

Why You Should Practice Hair Tapping

The Unexpected Delights of Hair Tapping

Hair tapping is the latest hair fad to take over people’s routines. It may sound a little unusual at first, but this simple practice can actually have some surprising benefits for your hair and overall well-being. After all, a good hair day is the difference between a good day and a bad day. So, if you’re curious about why you should give hair tapping a try, keep on reading!

What Exactly Is Hair Tapping?

Well, it’s a technique that involves gently tapping on your scalp with your fingertips. You can do it while your hair is dry or even during your regular hair care routine, like when you’re washing, brushing, or oiling your hair. It’s a simple practice that anyone can incorporate into their daily hair or self-care routine.

Promotes Relaxation and Reduces Stress

Promotes Relaxation and Reduces Stress

One of the primary benefits of hair tapping is its ability to promote relaxation and reduce stress. You know that feeling when you get a scalp massage, and it instantly makes you feel more relaxed? Well, hair tapping works in a similar way. By stimulating the nerve endings on your scalp, it can help release tension and ease the stress that has built up throughout the day. This mini self-care ritual can be easily incorporated into your hectic schedule.

Enhances Circulation and Mental Well-Being

When you tap on your scalp, you’re increasing blood flow to the hair follicles, which can promote hair growth and improve the overall health of your locks. In addition to the physical benefits, hair tapping can also have a positive impact on your mental well-being. Taking a few moments each day to tap on your scalp can serve as a mindfulness practice, helping you focus on the present moment and relieve any racing thoughts. It can be a simple and effective way to find some inner calm in the midst of a busy day.